Energy Tax Credits & Programs
Interested in pursuing environmentally-friendly initiatives at your business, but worried about the cost? Going green doesn’t need to mean your account will be in the red. In addition to the savings to your energy bill, the City, County, State & our partners offer a number of programs to encourage sustainable initiatives.
Below we highlight some of the major incentives to keep in mind as you consider your next project:
THE CITY OF FREDERICK
COMMERCIAL PROPERTY ASSESSED CLEAN ENERGY LOANS (C-PACE)
C-PACE is a government policy based on the principle that commercial energy projects – such as installing solar equipment or improving a building’s heat recovery system – are public benefits like sewers, roads, and bridges. C-PACE authorizes counties to work with private capital providers to provide upfront financing to commercial property owners for qualifying improvement projects, and to collect the repayment through annual or semi-annual surcharges on the property’s tax bill.
Eligibility: installation of solar, geothermal or wind energy systems, water conservation devices not required by law OR any construction, renovation, or retrofitting to reduce energy consumption
Benefits: 100% up front capital to commercial property owners for approved projects; the loan is repaid through a long-term surcharge on the property tax bill that transfers with the sale of the property
MARYLAND ENERGY ADMINISTRATION PROGRAMS
The State of Maryland offers a large range of grants, loans, and tax credits for businesses undertaking a wide range of energy-saving initiatives.
View the programs here: MD State Energy Incentives
In addition to the programs in the above link, the MEA is working with Marylanders to expand the State’s growing electric vehicle recharging infrastructure. Through the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Rebate Program 2.0 residents, governments, and businesses can acquire a rebate for purchasing or installing an electric vehicle charging station. In order to receive these rebates, eligible participants must apply with MEA, which will issue rebates on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications must be received by the MEA within 6 months of when the expenses were incurred.
POTOMAC EDISON EMPOWER MARYLAND COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL PROGRAMS
Small Business Solutions
- Small Business Direct Install – Turnkey solutions for small commercial customers including LED lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC measures. Incentives can cover up to 70% of the total project cost.
Energy Solutions for Business
- Commercial New Construction - Complimentary energy design assistance and financial incentives to help offset the cost of implementing energy-efficient strategies in new construction and major renovation projects.
- RetroCommissioning – Conduct a deeper dive of your facility’s energy use and implement strategies to optimize building performance.
- HVAC/Building Tune Up – Choose from a range of comprehensive HVAC and refrigeration measures for larger commercial facilities, from basic tune-ups to advanced controls and system replacements.
- Prescriptive – Incentives include, but are not limited to lighting, lighting controls, HVAC, food service, appliances and consumer electronics.
- Custom – Equipment – Offered to commercial, industrial, governmental and institutional customers for retrofits and system/process improvement projects that include technologies and/or customer-specific energy efficiency projects that do not meet the eligibility criteria for other Potomac Edison business programs.
- Custom – Building Improvements – Intended to encourage and provide a path for customers to install specialized building improvements for existing facilities to reduce energy consumption and demand by improved building energy performance.
- Instant Discounts – Get instant discounts on qualified lighting and HVAC products when you purchase from local participating distributors.
- Appliance Recycling – Customers receive an incentive for recycling a refrigerator or freezer.
- Business Energy Analyzer – Simple, convenient Online Audit tool that can help your business save energy and money.
- New Home Construction – Offers incentives to participating builders for homes constructed that meet the requirements for the ENERGY STAR® Certified Homes Program.
More information on Potomac Edison’s energy-saving incentives can be found here.