Back In Business Conditional Microgrant
As of 5:00 PM, November 10, 2020 - The application window for Round 3 is closed. Check back for future opportunities!
As of 3:00 PM, November 2, 2020 -- The City of Frederick Department of Economic Development’s Back In Business Conditional Grant Program has re-opened its application portal with expanded eligibility requirements to assist additional local small businesses impacted by the economic challenges of COVID-19.
** Businesses that previously submitted complete applications during Round 1 or Round 2 should NOT re-apply. **
Expanded program criteria for Round Three eligibility includes:
the removal of the requirement that the business be established prior to July 2019. Any business that meets all other eligibility requirements and was formally established prior to grant application will now be considered. Newer business applicants will be required to submit supporting documentation substantiating loss due to COVID-19.
Complete Round Three program details below...
Program Overview: Round Three
- Round Three applications will be accepted through an online portal from Monday, November 2, 2020, 3:00 PM through Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 5:00 p.m.
- Conditional grant awards will be announced by November 18, 2020. Disbursement of funds may take up to 15 business days from receipt of additional required documentation.
- Any eligible small business may apply and City DED staff are available to assist with application process. Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE’s) are encouraged to apply.
- These conditional GROW microgrant awards are not loans and have no repayment due provided program terms have been met.
- All conditions must be met for grant disbursement. Award recipients may be audited.
- Conditional grant funds shall be used on the following items:
- Commercial rent or mortgage payments for the business location
- Commercial equipment/supplies needed to address safe COVID19 operations
- Commercial utilities for the business location (such as water, sewer, electricity, etc.)
- Conditional grant funds must be expended by December 30, 2020.
- Conditional grant amounts are based on business size and will be awarded on a random lottery system from the pool of applicants.
Business with No Employees Microgrant
- Sole business-owner with no employees
- Award amount = $1,000
Business with Employees Microgrant ($225,000)
- Small businesses with 1 – 50 employees (calculated as Full Time Equivalents - FTE’s)
- Award Amounts = $1,200 to $11,000 depending on number of FTE’s
- Base award amount = $1,000
- Additional award per employee = $200 (maximum add’l award of $10,000)
|Examples:||Business A||Business B||Business C|
|# of Employees||1||15||25|
|Additional Award (FTE x $200)||200||3,000||5,000|
Micro-Grant Conditions Eligibility:
- Must have been an established business or non-profit entity in the City of Frederick prior to grant application
- Must have a physical location in the City of Frederick at which 50% or more of business operations and employees are based.
- Must be currently be open for business
- Must be registered as a Business In Good Standing with the State of Maryland and be in good standing with Frederick County and the City of Frederick.
- Must have no more than 50 employees (FTE’s) as of March 13, 2020
- Must have experienced a revenue loss related to COVID-19 in July 2020 compared to July 2019 – OR – if a newer business, provide alternative supporting documentation substantiating loss due to COVID-19
- Must only spend funds on eligible items
- Must provide DUNS # prior to grant award.
- Must be registered on sam.gov and provide SAM’s # prior to award; must not be debarred or suspended by the Federal government.
The following entities are NOT eligible for this program:
- Home-based businesses or food trucks
- Banks & financial institutions
- Government agencies
- Investment real-estate entities
Application and Review:
- Application for the program is available online only.
- Within the application, you will be offered the opportunity to input your email address to have a copy of your completed application form sent to you. The application platform also offers the ability to save a form in progress to complete the application later. Successfully completed applications will display a final confirmation page. If you do not reach a confirmation page, please contact the Department of Economic Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prior to disbursement of grant award, awardees will be required to sign Back In Business Grant Award Agreement Form, complete the Back in Business Expense Substantiation Form and produce receipts & proof of payment.
- Awardees consent to be included in marketing and promotional materials. Awardees will agree to report basic employment and business data for up to 2 years after the grant is issued to help the program track progress & success.
Contact the Department of Economic Development at 301-600-6362 or at email@example.com for additional information.