Back In Business Conditional Microgrant
As of 12:00 PM, October 16, 2020 -- The application window for the Back In Business Conditional Microgrant Program is closed.
As of 3:00 PM, October 8, 2020, The City of Frederick Department of Economic Development’s Back In Business Conditional Grant Program has re-opened its application portal with expanded eligibility requirements to assist additional local small businesses impacted by the economic challenges of COVID-19.
Expanded program criteria for Round Two eligibility includes:
Employee count may be up to 50 FTEs (full time equivalent); Maximum award will increase from $6,000 to $11,000
To be eligible, applicant must be able to show a decrease in July 2020 revenue as compared to July 2019. This is a removal of the Round One requirement to demonstrate 25% loss of revenue for this period.
Applicants may now have received local grants previously via other City/County grants; applicants will still have to adhere to guidelines regarding allowable expenditures for which the grant award may be applied.
Complete Round Two program details below ....
Program Overview: Round 2
- Initial Program funding is $255,000
- Round Two applications will be accepted through an online portal from Thursday, October 8, 2020, 3:00 PM through Friday, October 16, 2020, noon.
- Conditional grant awards will be announced by October 21, 2020. Disbursement of funds may take up to 15 business days from receipt of additional required documentation.
- Any eligible small business may apply and City DED staff are available to assist with application process. Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE’s) are encouraged to apply.
- These conditional GROW microgrant awards are not loans and have no repayment due provided program terms have been met.
- All conditions must be met for grant disbursement. Award recipients may be audited.
- Conditional grant funds shall be used on the following items:
- Commercial rent or mortgage payments for the business location
- Commercial equipment/supplies needed to address safe COVID19 operations
- Commercial utilities for the business location (such as water, sewer, electricity, etc.)
- Conditional grant funds must be expended by December 30, 2020.
- Conditional grant amounts are based on business size and will be awarded on a random lottery system from the pool of applicants.
Business with No Employees Microgrant ($30,000 for a total 30 Grants)
- Sole business-owner with no employees
- Award amount = $1,000
Business with Employees Microgrant ($225,000)
- Small businesses with 1 – 50 employees (calculated as Full Time Equivalents - FTE’s)
- Award Amounts = $1,200 to $11,000 depending on number of FTE’s
- Base award amount = $1,000
- Additional award per employee = $200 (maximum add’l award of $10,000)
|Examples:||Business A||Business B||Business C|
|# of Employees||1||15||25|
|Additional Award (FTE x $200)||200||3,000||5,000|
Micro-Grant Conditions Eligibility:
- Must have been an established business or non-profit entity in the City of Frederick prior to July 1, 2019
- Must have a physical location in the City of Frederick at which 50% or more of business operations and employees are based.
- Must be open for business on or before July 1, 2020 unless Governor’s Executive Order prevented the business opening – ex. Theaters, etc.
- Must be registered as a Business In Good Standing with the State of Maryland and be in good standing with Frederick County and the City of Frederick.
- Must have no more than 50 employees (FTE’s) as of March 13, 2020
- Must have experienced a revenue loss related to COVID-19 in July 2020 compared to July 2019.
- Must only spend funds on eligible items
- Must provide DUNS # prior to grant award.
- Must be registered on sam.gov and provide SAM’s # prior to award; must not be debarred or suspended by the Federal government.
The following entities are NOT eligible for this program:
- Home-based businesses or food trucks
- Banks & financial institutions
- Government agencies
- Investment real-estate entities
Application and Review:
- Application for the program is available online only.
- Within the application, you will be offered the opportunity to input your email address to have a copy of your completed application form sent to you. The application platform also offers the ability to save a form in progress to complete the application later. Successfully completed applications will display a final confirmation page. If you do not reach a confirmation page, please contact the Department of Economic Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prior to disbursement of grant award, awardees will be required to sign Back In Business Grant Award Agreement Form, complete the Back in Business Expense Substantiation Form and produce receipts & proof of payment.
- Awardees consent to be included in marketing and promotional materials. Awardees will agree to report basic employment and business data for up to 2 years after the grant is issued to help the program track progress & success.
Contact the Department of Economic Development at 301-600-6362 or at email@example.com for additional information.